I will use today being Christmas and me being on vacation as an excuse not to fight the hard fight of ordering my thoughts into a linear, nicely reading blog post. So here's an unordered list of my thoughts presented as an ordered list only to allow for easier commenting. They do form a picture, however.
- Drupal 7 is a roaring success. Check the usage numbers, in a single year there are about 75% as many Drupal 7 sites as Drupal 6 and D6 is very slowly dwindling. Within 18 months of Drupal 7 launch, Drupal usage overall will double.
- We can conclude people are happy with what and how you can build with Drupal 7. I can attest to this. It's fantastic to build a site with D7.
- The famous Web is dead Wired article is slightly misleading, check what the chart is about: it's a proportion of traffic and the web standing at 50% of the video traffic in fact means an exploding web market not a dying one (video is a lot of bytes).
- Apps are not the future, HTML5 is. See article about the Financial Times going that route or this article about how a mobile website gives a branding effort better bang for the buck.
- We have a great platform to build webpages: Drupal. We are making it HTML5 as we speak.
- If one wants to build a great platform where you can create a web site in the UI it means abstractions. Abstractions need code. Making that amount of code speedy is a formidable challenge.
- PHP sucks anyways for speed. Just compare it with an evented stack.
- However, we can push or pull content into a speedy stack and use that to answer AJAX fast.
Commenting on this Story is closed.